Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Remembering The Man of Dreams: Martin Luther King Jr.

Fifty years ago on April 4, 1968 Martin Luther king Jr, iconic civil right activist was assassinated on Memphis, Tennessee. Inspired by Mahatma Gandhi's principles he led the fight for civil rights of black peoples of United States by the ways of non-violence and civil disobedience.He was an instrumental in the passage of civil and voting rights legislation. Since then Black people of US progressed to greater heights across the various fields in an unbelievable transformation.

Now blacks are ruling the US be it Hollywood, Music, Sports and every other domains with admiring positions. Micheal Jackson, Micheal Jordan, Muhammed Ali, Serena Williams,Will Smith, Tiger woods and so and so. All these featured peoples are ultimate ones of their profession and they are just very few among the lots for the sake of example. Pinnacle of that list is Barack Obama. As the history made when he sworn as a first Colored President of US on 2009. For all them Martin Luther King stands as hero, leader and proud father like figure who empowered his community to this level. 

As a part of his remembrance, here I add top four books about him listed by Time Magazine: 

*) Martin Luther Jr,: A Life, by Marshall Frady.
*) An autobiography Martin Luther King, Jr edited by Clayborne Carson.
*)Parting the waters : America in the King years, 1954-63 by Taylor Branch.
*)The Heavens Might Crack : The death and legacy of Martin Luther king Jr by Jason Sokol.

On the end note I finish off with few excerpts from his famous "I have a dream" speech as follow:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I have a dream today!. I still have a dream, a dream deeply rooted in the American dream – one day this nation will rise up and live up to its creed, "We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream."

1 comment: